Monday, September 14, 2015

Naming Binary Compounds

Naming Type One, Two, and Three Binary Compounds Flow-Chart
This flow-chart was very useful in helping me identify if a compound was either type one, two, or three. It allowed me to consider all options in order to pick the correct category of binary compound, and summarized all of the considerations that ran through my head when completing a nomenclature question.
Resource: http://chemistrysaadle.weebly.com/outline.html

One example that demonstrates how this flow-chart operates is if I was determining if Sodium fluoride was a type one, two or three binary compound. This first question that would come to my head was if it contained a metal. It does contain a metal, since Sodium is an alkali metal. If it did not contain a metal, it would be a type three binary compound, Next, I would ask myself if the metal had a definite charge. Since Sodium's charge is always 1+, it does have a definite charge, and it is, therefore, a type 1 binary compound. If the cation did not have a definite charge, it would have been a type three binary compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment