Thursday, October 22, 2015

Mole

Over fall break, I sewed a stuffed mole in honor of Mole Day. On the paper with the patterns for the stuffed mole, it briefly explained what a scientific mole was. However, I decided to research the mole more to fully understand its significance. The Vision Learning website was very helpful. It explained how  a mole is simply a word that represents a measurement. It compared it to a "dozen" standing for 12. The website furthered explained that a mole is equivalent to 6.02 x 1023 and stressed its greatness. In addition, the website described how "A sample of any element with a mass equal to that element's atomic weight (in grams) will contain precisely one mole of atoms (6.02 x 1023 atoms). So, if an element had an atomic weight of 6.00 g., that amount of the element is equivalent to one mole of that element's atoms. I found this website very interesting and detailed, helping me fully understand what a mole is through examples and history. 

Vision Learning- Mole

http://www.jabebo.com/Scienceset.htm

3 comments:

  1. Lilly, thank you for sharing all of this insight on what Mole Day really is. I too made a mole, but did not really know what the scientific meaning of a mole was. Now that I have read your blog post and looked at the website that you provided, I understand it much more now. Thank you for helping to clear up my confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I really benefited from your in depth explanation of what a mole is. The direct link to the website was also useful to address any further inquiries. P.s- the picture of the mole is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the project, I didn't really make the connection to the real meaning of mole day and was instead just sewing a mole. After your post, I finally understood the real meaning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete