Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Dimensional Analysis

In class, we took notes over dimensional analysis. Dimensional analysis is when you convert one quantity to another. As we performed the equations, we also had to recognize how many significant numbers were in it in order to apply that number of significant numbers to the overall answer. One rule to remember is that when an exact quantity is in the problem, it is considered infinite, and is not counted as a significant number. An example of an exact quantity is 1 inch= 2.54 centimeters. Below, I posted a couple examples of dimensional analysis that we did in class. In the picture, you can see where we crossed out units of measurement as we worked our way through the problem. Also, there is a link of practice problems below the picture that I will use to study for the exam.




Dimensional Analysis Quiz with Conversion Charts

2 comments:

  1. Lilly, thank you for the practice problems because they will help me review dimensional analysis for the unit test. Also, I like how you included a couple straightforward facts such as the 1 inch conversion as well as the fact that exact measurements have infinite significant digits. I think I understand this topic, but I also think I will get confused by all of the different exact measurements. All in all, I appreciate how you included your own practice problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lilly for posting this because it has help me better understand how to do dimensional analysis.

    ReplyDelete